Magyk (Septimus Heap, Book 1)

Magyk (Septimus Heap, Book 1) - Angie Sage I was looking through the teen fiction section of my local bookstore, and something about the cover of this book caught my eye. I read the reviews and of course, like every other fiction story about wizards, some reviews compared it to the Harry Potter saga. While I highly doubted this to be the case, as I skimmed through the pages I became curious; the story seemed easy and fun to read...as well as intruiging, so I brought it home. This is the first book in a series of 5 books currently out (and a planned 7 book series), so I found it started out kind of slow. Understandably, being the first book there is some world building, and a wide range of characters to get to know, but that's not the only bit: Our hero Septimus' identity remains a secret (to the reader and the hero himself) for a huge part of the book. I found it very unique to get to know him, without knowing it was actually the the title character...but at the same time, you go through the whole book with no title character. He's there, but identified as someone else...that made me feel a bit disconnected with the story at times. But the book definitely kept my attention throughout, and I was curious to unravel the mysteries as the unfolded. There were a few predictable moments, where I could guess what was coming up next, but when I finished the book, I was still left wanting more, and excited to see what will happen next to all the characters. I can see where the comparisons to Harry Potter would be unavoidable, but the magic in question is quite different from the Potter universe, and the characters are all unique as well. Sage has a style that is all her own, and the story definitely has potential to grow into something bigger and better. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of magical teen fiction.