The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4)

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4) - Rick Riordan The Battle of the Labyrinth is the second to last book in the 'Percy Jackson & the Olympians' series and things have gotten pretty intense. This was easily my favorite book in the series so far and it's left me very anxious to know how the story will conclude. Even before I started reading this, I had a feeling I would like it a lot. It felt like book 3 was really setting up the stakes for the conclusion of this series, so already things were getting more serious. Another thing is, I have this thing for labyrinths: I love them. Magical or otherwise, labyrinths are awesome! Labyrinths really require both mental and physical skill (and a little bit of luck). So when you couple a labyrinth scenario with any magical or mystical elements, you can be sure I'm pretty excited You can imagine my delight when I picked up The Battle of the Labyrinth.

Anyone who's been reading/following my reviews on the Percy Jackson series will know, I've often found the books on the predictable side. They've always felt exceedingly 'young' to me as far as the plot itself and where the dialogue is concerned. I didn't feel this was the case for TBotL. Sure there were some minor twists I could see coming, but there were plenty of major twists that totally caught me off guard. Like Quintus being Daedalus?! And whatever that mess was with Luke's Body!! o.O It was just plain exciting from start to finish; hardly any time was wasted with redundant information or setting up the story. It also seemed to me that the plot AND characters did some heavy maturing this time out. Percy especially behaved admirably throughout and managed to discover more of his powers. like first when he made all that water explode from those seashell things...and then when he exploded out of the forges and caused massive evacuations! And not just him, but Grover, Tyson, Annabeth, Clarisse...every character seemed more complex and layered; more real. I was especially a fan Nico's part in the story, he really was a compelling presence and I was invested in whatever part he played. I'm glad Riordan didn't draw out his vendetta against Percy as I suspected he might, I really wanted Nico not to be such a cliché Son of Hades.

While not much is offered in the way of any plot resolutions, plenty of elements are sufficiently jumbled up like Percy's love life, Nico's faith and whatever hell kind of a mess Lord Kronos is...yikes! to provide ample entertainment in book 5...which I do believe I'll be starting as soon as I'm done this review!