Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas **A review copy was provided by Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review.**

Actual rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Wow- just...wow. So Throne of Glass had been sitting up on the top of my wishlist since before it's release and as always, when I get ready to read a highly-anticipated book, I was worried that it wouldn't live up to the hype. For, about two seconds. I'm exaggerating (a little), but in all honesty, within the first few chapters I was more invested in this story than even I was expecting! This was a richly-woven tale of epic proportions that had me hooked right away and never let go.

Throne of Glass tells the story of Celaena, an assassin trained by the most lethal man in existence since she was 8 years old. Celaena is currently serving out a life-sentence in the worst kind of jail/labor camp imaginable when 2 strange men come calling with an offer: if she can survive and win a deadly competition with 23 other assassins, killers and thieves, she has a shot at winning her freedom. Soon she's left the salt mines behind for the Glass Castle itself; home of the King of all the lands! She has little time to adjust and begin training to win the competition before a mystery emerges; someone is killing off the other competitors one by one, and Celaena will be forced to try and figure out what is amiss in the Glass Castle...before it's too late.

Celaena is a character unlike any other I've read. She's lethal, cunning, cocky, intelligent and angry. Her life, both prior to and during her imprisonment, have clearly left their mark on her. I knew going in that a lot of fellow readers had some issues with her attitude and her behavior but I'll be honest: she drew me in from the first chapter and pretty soon I just had all kinds of love for her! Her personality was just so strong, her confidence so unwavering - not traits often given to female characters but with Celaena, it just worked. She could have come off as needlessly arrogant, but to me it was clearly a defense mechanism, she did what she had to do to survive. Anyways she soon starts displaying her full-on kick-ass qualities as proof of her bad-assitude. That being said,she also had well-hidden vulnerabilities which as a reader we are privy to and helped make her relatable and more human.

"The leaves dangled like jewels - tiny droplets of ruby, pearl, topaz, amethyst, emerald and garnet; and a carpet if such riches coated the forest floor around them."

The intrigue was just sky-high in Throne of Glass and it remained solid throughout. So many elements that I loved were in play here and it all just came together brilliantly. It's almost hard to fit this book into one category: it's an adventure and a mystery all at once set in a historical-esque world with fantasy, paranormal and romantic elements lightly sprinkled in for good measure. It also has it fair share or creepiness and gore which I wasn't expecting but worked perfectly with the kind of story being told. The mythology within the story was perfectly mysterious and it added a whole other layer to this already impressive world. Somehow all these elements instantly mesh together beautifully and certainly stands as a testament to author Sarah J. Maas' mad storytelling skills. The writing style was, like the characters and the world they live in: indescribably addictive with plenty of breathtaking passages along the way where the words seemed to leap of the pages and paint a living picture in my mind's eye as I was reading. I just couldn't get enough!

The pacing was tight from start to finish and perfectly balanced the intense action and training with Celaena's down time, which she divided up nicely by reading (win!), exploring the Glass Castle and making a select few friends, all of whom I enjoyed just as much as the MC. Princess Nehemia was a fantastic addition and I looked forward to seeing hers and Celaena's friendship develop, especially since it seemed pretty clear that Celaena could do with a girlfriend. Other then the Princess, the crown Prince Dorian and the Captain of the Guard Chaol take up the most of our beloved Assassin's time. I won't go into more detail here in case of possible spoilers but I will say this: the romance in Throne of Glass was a slow burn and to me, it always stayed secondary to the plot and main-character story-arc. There is a budding love-triangle but this is one of those rare occasions where it actually works with the story instead of being a hindrance. Both men are exceedingly appealing in their own very different ways - though my heart already belongs to Chaol ♥

"Libraries were full of ideas - perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons."

Finally, I loved that for a medieval-feeling world, Throne of Glass had a definite feminist vibe. In this world, they worship a Goddess over all else, and the Goddess has other lesser Gods at her service. Add in an MC who is female who more than holds her own against any man she faces, in battle or otherwise who also pulls off almost obscene amount of swagger... and yeah, this book is pretty much made of win.

Bottom line? Throne of Glass was a perfect mix of action, suspense, world-building, character-building and romance with truly lovely prose, rich with vivid imagery. Everything worked for me in this one and I can't wait to jump right into Crown of Midnight...which I plan to do....now!

For this and other reviews like it- visit my blog: Photobucket