The Assassin and the Underworld

The Assassin and the Underworld - Sarah J. Maas The Assassin and the Underworld is the third of four Throne of Glass prequel novellas that are out at the moment. I realize I may have said this for the previous two, but I think this one is my favorite out of the bunch - so far. I absolutely adore how Sarah J. Maas made all these seperate novellas tie into a larger story arc, while still having them stand alone as seperate adventures! I don't know how she does it, but Celaena seems to get more and more epic with every single installment.

This was the story I'd been eager to get into since I started these novellas because this novella features Celaena in her element. Before how things are in the begining of Throne of Glass, this would have been her life with the people she was closest too - Arobyn, the king of the Assassins and Celaena's mentor is featured prominently in this story; not to mention Sam. I'd always been curious as to what Celaena's life was like before her whole world turned over and The Assassin and the Underworld delivered just that. The plot was very satisfying, not to mention compelling and addictive, just as I've come to expect from a Sarah J. Maas novel.

I'm a big fan of how Celaena continually grows as a character with every new story - I read both Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight before I read these but I'm sure her character evolution is even more apparent when the books are read in chronological order. As usual, Celana's strong personality is her best feature. It not only cements her bravery and fierceness; it's also what makes these books so enthralling. She can make you laugh one moment - like that liquor bath scene, and make you want to cry in the next. Celaena is still as innocent as one can be, having lived her life as an assassin but there are also telltale signs of the woman she becomes as the series proper. It's quite clear that Miss Maas always had a clear plan as to where her storyline and her heroine were going.

As I mentioned, we get to become properly introduced to Arobyn, Celaena's mention thus far. I knew her would be both formidable and honestly, terrifying and he did not dissapoint. They certainly don't call him the King of Assassins for nothing! The standout for me though was getting to know Sam even better. I ♥ Sam, there's no other way to put it - he's a wonderful character and I adore discovering more about him. After being introduced to him in the first novella, and him being absent in the second I'd held out hope that we'd have more time with him and he certainly did not disappoint!

These novellas keep getting better and better in my opinion. I appreciated the allusions to things we've seen in the previous novellas, as well as the foreshadowing of things to come in the Throne of Glass books. A riveting addition to the series, I give The Assassin and the Underworld five glowing stars and yet again strongly recommend the novellas to any and all of the Throne of Glass fans who haven't picked these up yet!

For this and other reviews like it- visit my blog: Photobucket