Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré About once every year or two, I tend to get the urge re-read the Harry Potter series; and not just because Harry Potter is my all time favorite protagonist, but because J.K. Rowling creates a universe that is so rich, so inviting that I find myself missing everything about the magical world she built. The characters are so rich and layered...you can't help but feel for them... And I figured my review could also do with an update as well, since its over 4 years old and kinda lame.

Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone (I refuse to refer to it as the Sorcerer's Stone) is the first book in the series and it is like no other book I have every read. Rowling has a gift of 'painting a word picture' for her readers so you can virtually feel as though you've stepped into this new magical world right alongside with Harry; the ordinary, plain old Harry Potter, who didn't think there was anything special or different about him but that lightening shaped scar on his forehead, until the giant Hagrid comes barging in talking about wizards, and Hogwarts, and revelations about how Harry's parents really died. Harry Potter is a wizard, and he has been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry. In the blink of an eye his whole world has been turned upside down; and for the better at that! The reader gets to follow Harry on a magical journey filled with trolls and unicorns and centaurs...not to mention secrets, and danger...especially where Harry is concerned. This book really makes you feel like you're at Hogwarts, tagging along with Harry on all of his adventures. And I love knowing how Harry thinks, how he figures things out, what makes him tick. You can't not have faith in Harry because his heart, mostly always leads him in the right path.

The best part about re-reading the Harry Potter series is catching all the little hints and clues that J.K. Rowling had already started setting up, laying the groundwork of so many pivotal plot twists in small bits and pieces here and there. The long discussion at the end of the book between Harry & Dumbledore is so telling;especially what Dumbledore refuses to divulge at the moment: Why Voldemort tried to kill Harry? Ahhh such a loaded question and one not fully appreciated in hindsight :) I also enjoy seeing how quickly and almost unconsciously Harry steps up, refusing to let anyone help Voldemort get the Philosopher's Stone. Already he realizes that he who must not be named must be stopped...at all costs. An fantastic start to a phenominal series.