Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire  - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré Book Four in the Harry Potter series, is the middle book of the series and in many ways it is very unique from other previous offerings from JKR. With it's first chapter, it sets the tone for a darker feel by far than books 1 through 3. If Rowling ever decides to write an adult book, she could be suuuuuper scary if she wanted to. Chapter 1- The Riddle House still creeps me out, after multiple readings. It's the way Jo builds the suspense with the chapter. It's not like you can't guess where it's going...even just with the chapter's title. Even still, there's a mounting unease as the chapter progresses, the way you'd feel if you'd been dreading something for months only to slowly watch it unfold before your eyes. Bleh!

This will be Harry's fourth year at Hogwarts and he is now 14; not a little boy anymore, Goblet of Fire (or GoF) starts off with a more confident Harry as he manages to get his uncle to agree to let him attend the Quidditch World Cup. Once there, Harry Ron & Hermione; and everyone else in attendance, will witness bizarre and unsettling events that set the tone for many events to come. Upon returning to Hogwarts, it becomes apparent how different this book will be. This year, Hogwarts will host and participate in the Triwizard Tournament. An epic tournament that pits 3 champions, from 3 Wizarding schools against each other for 3 extremely difficult, dangerous (and sometimes deadly) tasks. I loved reading about the different tasks, and getting to know students from different schools than Hogwarts; it really changes up the usual dynamics of a year in the life of Harry Potter.

GoF is like a huge puzzle with it's pieces all jumbled up....once you start to figure out one section of the picture, you still have a HUGE mess of other stuff to figure out. Upon my first few readings of the series, GoF was never one of my favorites of the series. Now I realize probably because the movie version is almost a completely different story and I let that version cloud my judgement Not only that but Dumbledore's portrayal in this particular movie is so drastically different from the real Dumbledore. I'm thinking specifically of the moment when Harry fully appreciates why people have always said Dumbledore was the only wizard Voldemort ever feared. during the rescue from imposter Moody at the end, when Dumbledore MacGonagall and Snape burst in the office. '' the sense of power that radiated from Dumbledore as though he was giving off burning heat. (...) again he seemed to radiate that indefinable sense of power (...) the aura of power around him palpable, his eyes blazing.

GoF is absolutely brilliant in it's originality, plot and mystery. how cool is the introduction of the pensive?! I mean seriously, the colour description, the airy liquidy substance, the fact that it contains memories, and in this case Dumbledore's memories?! Awesome. The final chapters are well worth the wait (the book is huge compared to it's predecessors) and will leave every single reader ready to jump into book 5 as soon as the read the final word.