Frankenstein

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley, Maurice Hindle This book was such a surprise to me when I read it in university. It stayed with me and I definitely wanted to know how it was going to end. It was very well written ,especially considering the Mary Shelley wrote it at a time where women had never made a mark in in the genre. It was written as a challenge between a few authors of note of the day; none of them had ever written any 'horror' books and they all challenged themselves to write one. Mary Shelley's husband was involved (though for the life of me I can't remember his name, or anyone else taking part in the challenge) so she threw her hat in, and she was the ONLY one to finish. The result was this epic tale. Its definitely not a book I could see reading over and over again, as I found it very sad, tragic and haunting. The reason I've rated it so low, is that I can't honestly say I 'liked it'. Yes it was worth the read, but I only read it because it was required class material. That being said, I don't regret reading it, I just can't picture myself 'enjoying' this book. I would like to re-read it eventually though as an adult to see if it would have the same effect on me or if I would actually enjoy it more. A truly, unique and worthwhile read, just not a very enjoyable read.