The Host

The Host - Stephenie Meyer Wow...it's hard to figure out where to begin with reviewing this book. It took me a long time to decide to read this book, because Stephenie Meyer is one of those authors with such an addictive style, she sucks you right in and then you can't think of anything else but her book whenever you're not reading. The Host; despite being unlike any book I have ever read, certainly did suck me in...

The Host is about a breed of alien species that live off other beings, kind of like parasites. They latch on to a host body and take over their lives. The vast majority of planet earth has been taken over by these aliens, or souls as they are referred to. There are still humans who are in hiding, resisting this alien take over, but very very few. The book opens on a special soul, known as Wanderer who is in the process of being implanted into a newly captured human called Melanie. Melanie was part of a rebel human resistance. Wanderer has had hosts bodies on 8 different planets before Earth, and the other souls feel she is more than qualified to take on Melanie. The souls believe Melanie might resist, being a rebel human, and it is crucial that this 'take over' be successful because as a soul, Wanderer will have access not only to Melanie's body, but all her memories, and the souls and the seeker(a soul who's job on earth it is to track down the remaining humans)believe Melanie knows where other humans are hiding. The only problem is that Melanie refuses to let go, to disappear, to give up her body and mind to Wanderer. This is something that very rarely happens with humans. Melanie is unique; but then again, so is Wanderer...

As soon as I started reading I was intrigued. The situation is so...unique. Mild spoilers ahead: You have two beings, co-existing in one body. At first, Wanderer tries to fight off Melanie, and Melanie eventually learns that she could take control over Wanderer...but there's a struggle. Wanderer is subjected to Melanie's thoughts... and her desire to find her little brother and Jared, the man she loves. Both she was supposed to meet when she got captured by the Seekers. Eventually they begin to learn to coexist in the same body, reluctantly they learn to cooperate. Melanie is unique: she will not fade away, she is strong, determined and she longs to find her brother Jaime, and Jared; to make sure they're ok. But Wanderer is unique too, she is unlike most souls that now make up most of Earth's population. Each of them can feel what the other is feeling, so Wanda too begins to long to see Jaime...and Jared. So together they set off to find them. This is a HUGE risk for both of them, humans will surely hunt down Wanderer even if she does look mostly like Melanie (with the exception of the silver ring around her eyes) and well if the other souls, especially the Seeker find out that Wanderer is working with a rebel...the consequences would spell disaster for both Melanie & Wanderer.

The more the story moves forward, the more addicting it gets. At about halfway through, I would find myself thinking about what would happen. How could there possibly be a happy outcome for all parties involved? I found myself trying to guess what would happen next. Talking about it to others, to organize my thoughts...but the story never ceased to surprise me. I'm sad that I've finished reading. I'll definitely re-read it eventually. Amazing, amazing read. I've used unique throughout this review; there's no better word to describe it!