The Chronicles of Narnia

The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis While I have reviewed every book from the Chronicles of Narnia by itself; because to me they are very separate stories, THIS is the actual book I own so I will offer a review of the whole series. The Chronicles of Narnia are a series of stories set in a magical land called Narnia. With every new story, children from 'our world' are brought into the land of Narnia by varying magical ways when Narnia is in great need. While I definitely feel that everyone who has enjoyed books like the Harry Potter series or even the Septimus Heap series, will be able to see that most of these stories have been influenced by The Chronicles of Narnia in one way or another. The series (for the most part) is infused with so much magic, wonder and innocence, it makes you feel like a kid again when reading the better stories within the Chronicles.

I can't say however that it's a mush read for all fantasy fiction fans. There is strong christian allegory throughout the series (especially with ''The Last Battle'', ''The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe'',and to a lesser extent ''The Silver Chair''). Also it's become quite dated, in fact more so than The Lord of the Rings, which was published roughly around the same time (and Tolkien and Lewis were friends) Personally, I had attempted to read it (in it's publication order) about 5 years ago and could not get into it at the time. The christian subtext and dated attitude towards women had gotten the better of me and I gave it up. This time around I did my research, reading up on what other people had to say about it, and I set out fully prepared for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm glad I read The Chronicles of Narnia in it's entirety, but I won't be doing it again. It's final 2 stories went downhill quite fast in my opinion (The Silver Chair and The Last Battle respectively) and well, to be honest if I ever feel like reading 'The Lion, The Witch & The Wardobe' I'll just watch the movie. I had much more fun watching that one than reading it! My absolutely favorite stories out of the whole series were 'The Magician's Nephew', second place is a tie with 'The Horse and his Boy' and 'Prince Capsian' and finally 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader'. So if I ever re-read any stories from the Chronicles, it will be those ones...