The Alchemyst

The Alchemyst - Michael Scott, Erik Singer I had high hopes when I picked up this book. At the time, I was fresh off the Harry Potter series and had a bad case of 'Post-Potter Depression'. The idea of learning more about the intriguing and mythical 'Nicolas Flamel' (which I had heard of before HP) instantly captivated me, and the book blurb only added fuel to the fire. Sadly, about halfway through I had to shelf this one (DNF). I found the protagonists Sophie and Josh very flat and one-dimensional. They spent most of the time confused or panicky and quite frankly, I found them annoying. You'd think that out of two protagonist, at least one would have captured my fancy. Yeah, I thought so too, but apparently not.

Also, considering the book is named after Nicholas Flamel, I was expecting a lot more of him front and center; not as an almost background character. Making him a titular character on the book cover almost seemed gimmick-y. The man has obviously lived a very long life, there would have been plenty of information or plot to fill this book with. Why mention him in the title if he's barely developed in the book?

Every time I walk by these books in bookstores, I get a pang of regret. This had the potential of being an amazing series, it's sad that it was such a letdown.