The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised, I've hesitated to read this book for so long. I really wasn't sure it was 'my kind of book'...lately I've been really into fantasy, magical fiction and this dystopian, survivor style book that promised to be gory had me feeling unsure. After tons of friends praise and recommendations, I finally bit the bullet and read it and I am so glad I did.

The Hunger Games is set in the future, in the ruins of what was once North America. The Capital has an iron clad hold on 12 districts that surround it and keep the districts in line by forcibly making one boy and one girl from each district participate in the annual Hunger Games. The Hunger Games are a survivalist fight to the death where only one can survive, and the other 23 will surely die.

I really enjoyed the setting; the futuristic feel of the Capitol and all it's illusions and grandeur. Especially in contrast to the hard life our hero Katniss deals with on a daily basis. Hunting illegally for food and struggling to survive. When she volunteers as a tribute to spare her beloved baby sister Prim, she is submerged into the surreal Capitol and treated like royalty, that is while she's not being trained to survive, and kill the other tributes.

Without going into details and spoilers, when the Games begin, that's where it gets intense. But not just intense; sad, gross and even romantic at times. The ending is just begging to have me jump into book 2...and I think I just might right now!