Divergent

Divergent  - Veronica Roth Ah, Divergent: if I had known going in you were book one of a planned trilogy, I might have chosen to wait till book two and three were out; because now the waiting will be pure torture! I can NOT wait to read the rest of this story!

Alright, so Divergent is a dystopian story set in some futuristic version of Chicago. In this society, once you turn 16 you get to 'chose' your faction; each of which is devoted to a certain ideology. There is Abnegation (The Selfless), Dauntless (The Brave), Amity (The Peaceful), Candor (The Honest) and Erudite (The Intelligent). You may chose to remain in the faction you were brought up in...or switch over to a new faction, thus renouncing all ties to your family. Faction before blood as they say. It's a unique and intriguing take on a dystopian world and one that instantly had me wanting to delve deeper.

While I was unsure of how I might relate to the main character Beatrice or 'Tris' in the beginning... probably because her Abnegation background, I mean come on, how interesting would this book have been for THAT initiation? lol but it didn't take long for her to become familiar and enjoyable to me. Her insecurities, her weaknesses, her spirit and her thoughts were so easy to relate to; even in a world so different from our own. I especially enjoyed the evolution of her character; it's like she didn't really know herself...at first, so it's as new to her as it is to the reader.I really enjoyed the element of bravery in DIvergent; especially overcoming one's fear; or rather learning to think when afraid. ''How to control your fear and how to be free of it'' ...So yeah that scene with the crows: horrifying to me! Especially after that nauseating Edward's eye scene *cringe*

The pacing is well done and the tone makes you feel instantly curious about this dystopian world; and want more. You feel compelled to keep reading from start to finish and one you're done you want more. I found myself thinking about the story often when I wasn't reading it, wondering what was to happen next. Even though I was able to predict a few outcomes before they happened, I still feel Veronica Roth did an amazing job of building suspense throughout.

*edit* I did notice a few similarities or likenesses with 'The Hunger Games' series, and that's one of the reasons Divergent didn't get a 5 out of 5 rating. Overall an excellent book and now the torture of waiting for the next book, begins...