Liesl & Po

Liesl & Po - Kei Acedera, Lauren Oliver Words can not describe how utterly heart-warming, how completely enchanted and how truly ineffably happy Liesl & Po made me feel. Out of all the children's fairytales I have read in my youth and my adulthood, this modern tale really was an absolute joy to read. The prose is breathtakingly beautiful and absolutely delightful. The characters are exceedingly loveable; instant classics. The story itself is simple enough, though layered with deep and rich lessons about love and loss. I am truly enamored with this tale and upon finishing, I find myself wishing it was a series of books; that I could remain inside this world for longer...even though I know the story has ended.

Had I read this when I was a child, I know it would be one of; if not my favorite story of all time. As it is, the adult me knows that I will read this story again and again. Liesl, a truly lovable orphaned girl is confined to living in her attic by an evil stepmother. One night a ghost appears to Liesl. A ghost name Po and his ghostly pet Bundle. Through a random series of events a story is born and Liesl, Po and Bundle will embark on a journey to bring Liesl's father ashes to their rightful place; so he can finally rest. A journey that will prove much more complex...and magical than either could have possibly imagined. All the while, the evil Alchemist, the Lady Premiere and Liesl's own evil stepmother are hot on their tales; each with their own diabolical agendas. With the help of the Alchemist's own poor and mistreated apprentice Will, Liesl, Po and Bundle will race against time to complete their journey.

While the orphaned protagonist and the evil stepmother may not seem all that original, Lauren Oliver has woven a genuinely unique & touching story that is not to be missed. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys magical fairytales; both young and young at heart. 5-stars!