The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente I knew from the moment The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making that this was a book I could love, and I think to anyone who knows me it's pretty obvious why! I had really high hopes, and I think that's why I've only just finished reading it. I just didn't want my expectations to outshine this one. If I had known that I was depriving myself of such a treat, I'd have read this little gem a loooong time ago and saved myself the torture!

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making tells the story of 12 year old September who up until now has led an ordinary (boring) life and wants nothing more than to have an adventure. That is, until the mysterious Green Wind (a mysterious man dressed in all-green) and his Leopard show up and invite September to Fairyland and even goes so far as to suggest Fairyland may need her help. September can't resist as she soon finds herself smack in the middle of Fairyland, meeting witches, a book loving dragon (!!!) and a strange blue boy named Saturday. But all is really not well in Fairyland and soon it becomes clear that the cunning Marquess is responsible for the state of things...and soon it becomes clear that an adventure is just what is in store for September and her friends - that and so much more!

If I had to describe The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland... in a few words, I would go with literary fairytale. The writing, the flow of it is simply wonderful. It's exactly what a perfect fairytale should be and more than once, I found myself wishing this book had been around when I was growing up! It's filled with achingly beautiful quotes like this:

“It is well known that reading quickens the growth of a heart like nothing else.”

And this:

“She sounds like someone who spends a lot of time in libraries, which are the best sorts of people.”

One more for the road:

“When one is traveling, everything looks brighter and lovelier. That does not mean it IS brighter and lovelier; it just means that sweet, kindly home suffers in comparison to tarted-up foreign places with all their jewels on.”

I could go on and on with more of those - in fact, I spent some time liking my favorites on Goodreads right after I finished reading :) Author Catherynne M. Valente has a stunning way with words that are able to tug at your heartstrings and appeal to your sense of wonder all at the same time. This chick not only knows her fairytales, she lives them. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, despite all it's whimsy and oddities always felt true and genuine.

Beyond that though, there are SO many things to love about this book. Fairyland itself offers a very fresh take on the idea of 'crossing over into a magical world. The lore is rich and diverse, it holds together seamlessly like it's been around for hundreds of years but at the same time, it felt like nothing else I've ever read before. If I had to compare it to other stories, I'd go with Alice in Wonderland with a little bit of the Wizard of Oz - but to me The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland...goes above and beyond those stories into something even more satisfying!

The main reason for this being the characters. September for one is an absolute dear. She is brave but not unrealistically so, she's determined, she's kind and a true friend and she loves books but she doesn't think she's anything special. The supporting characters are just as wonderful though: A through L, the book loving dragon with a tender heart, Saturday shy and strong, the Leopard of Little Breezes, the Panther of Rough Storms (Yes, not one but 2 big magical felines ♥), The Green Wind...and a host of more quirky and entertaining characters; some nice ones and others, not so much but you could always be sure to be in for a surprise or a secret or two with every new face!

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making was sheer delight to me. Despite it's small size, it's not a book I felt I could plow through but one I wanted to savor and take my time with. I'd highly recommend it to fans of fairytales, and well-writen middle grade reads that easily appeal to the adult crown with a penchant for the enchanted (like me)! Fans of Alice, Dorothy and Wendy will likely fall in love with September just as I did. Bottom line though, if you're looking for a 'feel-good read', something filled with happiness, whimsy & courage, that will stir your imagination and put a smile on your face? The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making is all of that and more!

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars ★★★★☆