City of Bones

City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
Rating Clarification: 2.5 stars

I think at this point that I may be the only person left that hadn't read 'The Mortal Instruments' series. The first book, 'City of Bones' had indeed been on my 'to-read' shelf for a while so I figured it was high time I got started! I had read up on the series beforehand, and the fact that the author; Cassandra Clare got started writing Harry Potter fan-fiction centralized around Ginny Weasly and Draco Malfoy. Telling myself this could be an asset or a fault, I opted to just read the darn book and make up my own mind.

City of Bones features Clary or 'Clarissa' Fray as our protagonist who knows nothing about her true identity. Her past, her 'sight' and her true nature has been hidden from her. It takes one night out at a club for her whole life to change. It is a this club (Pandemonium) that Clary first encounters the 'Shadowhunters', warriors whose sole purpose is to rid the world of demons. Pandemonium is also the first time Clary meets Jace, a gorgeous, dangerous and mysterious boy...and a Shadowhunter is his own right. Overnight illusions begin to shatter around Clary and while she is barely managing to keep up, she begins to realize she is in more danger than she ever could have imagined.

I have to admit that this book didn't start out all that great to me. The similarities between 'The Mortal Instruments' and the Harry Potter series were hard to ignore. Jace reminded me too much of Draco...Valentine is a little to similar to Voldemort in personality and in personal history everyone thinks he's dead, he desires more than anything to 'purify' the world of what beings he deems unfit, his circle were recruited almost like death-eaters..and I could go on. ...The Mortal Instruments kinda sound like Horcruxes...it just bothered me. I feel like even if I hadn't know about the whole fan-fiction thing I would have noticed all of this anyway. I also felt that the intrigue was a bit transparent. Like I guessed every most plot twists miles before they actually panned out. It also bugged me that Clary was constantly apologizing to everyone. The minute she'd show some backbone, five seconds later she was apologizing for it.

While the books is nothing staggeringly unique, I did grow on me about halfway in. The small excerpt we got from Jace's perspective warmed me up to him considerably. (For anyone who follows my reviews, it's no secret that I'm a sucker for a glimpse into the boy's mind within a female driven plot.) Clary did grow on me as well, I admired her bravery; especially considering she has yet to be trained up much in her abilities. By the ending I was definitely surprised by a few twists and while I'm not yet finding myself thinking about the plot constantly...like I do when I'm really hooked; I'm still curious enough about what's coming next to keep going. Hopefully the next one will delve deeper into this intriguing albeit flawed world.