Allegiant

Allegiant  - Veronica Roth Allegiant is the conclusion to the Divergent Trilogy, a series of books that I that I was a huge fan of. As you can imagine, I've had Allegiant on my wishlist since before it even had a cover...or a title even. Why then, did I wait so long to finally get into it? Well to be honest, I feel like a part of me sort of fell out of love with the series. I'd adored Divergent when it came out and subsequently plowed through Insurgent which at the time I'd enjoyed almost as much as it's predecessor. As the weeks passed though, I remember thinking back to certain aspects of the story (and it's characters) and becoming frustrated or annoyed. So when Allegiant arrived late last year and I waited. While part of me hoped the series would go out with a bang and blow me away, another part worried that this might be one of those times where a reader and a series just don't see eye to eye anymore. In any case, I'm a huge mood reader and figured I might as well wait till the right mood strikes me...and recently, it did. I went in with what I hoped was a clear head - I'd avoided most reviews and chit-chat about it so I was completely unspoiled to the plot... and that ending...

Here's the scoop: Allegiant starts off right on the heels of the HUGE revelation dropped on us at the end of Insurgent. Since my favorite part of Insurgent was indeed that killer ending, I was pumped and eager to learn more details. Tris, Four and the rest of the 'Insurgence' decide that they need to explore outside of the society they once knew so they take off at once to see what the rest of the world holds and...hopefully, start anew. Only things outside the fence don't play out in a way that anyone expects. Soon, they uncover more secrets, deeper manipulations and higher stakes. As they struggle to understand the strange new world around them, war once again looms on the horizon. Our rebel group of heroes need to move fast in order to save the ones they love.

I'm sure you've all heard by now that Allegiant is told in dual perspectives, alternating between Tris and Four. I for one welcomed the change in format because Four or Tobias is probably my favorite character in the series and I was eager to get back inside his head. So at the start, things were looking good. Getting both Four and Tris' POV when they left the factions were both unique and engaging. Character-wise, I found that I enjoyed Tris more than I had in Insurgent. I felt that she was closer to the heroine I fell in love with in Divergent. She's grown a lot and I had a lot of respect for her newfound confidence. Similarly, Four was less rigid and both of them together seemed less stubborn and explosive. They weren't doing their annoying dance from Insurgent either - the one where they flip-flop between being at each other's throats or making out - so I was optimistic...

The problem? What I've talked about so far covers about the first hundred pages of Allegiant, and that's about where things started to go south for me - which is unfortunate, since the book is considerably longer than it's two predecessors (500+ pages). After the crew is out there in the world, well nothing really happens. There's no real exploring or discovering going on. The characters hunker down at the first place they get to. I was expecting a wild new world to discover but instead I got experiments labs and meetings. The big reveal from the end of Insurgent soon fizzled into nothing and after that it seemed like the plot was losing it's way, fumbling as it struggled to find some kind of direction. The pacing seemed slow and laboured - nothing at all like Divergent and Insurgent had been.

And so I started to lose interest. A lot of the little twists along the way felt pointless and could easily have been trimmed out of the story. The challenges our MC's and their little group faced seemed underwhelming and by the time we got to that ending that got everyone so riled up, I just didn't care like I apparently should have. It's more than that though: I don't even think that ending was necessary. Like at all. I accept that for author Veronica Roth, this is the ending she always envisioned for her series but to me it just came off as random and pointless. I'm not saying it shouldn't have happened, but it could have went down in a different and more significant way.

In the end, Allegiant was a letdown for despite my best efforts. I wouldn't go so far as saying it ruined the series but for me, the trilogy went downhill with every new book and the last one worst of all. I guess you could say that in the end, the series and I diverged from one another. All joking aside though, Allegiant just didn't live up to either of it's predecessors and that makes me sad. This series started out with promising but in the end it simply did not live up to it's full potential.

This review was previously featured on my blog: Photobucket