The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia, #2)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia, #2) - C.S. Lewis, Pauline Baynes 3.5 stars

The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe is the first book C.S. Lewis ever wrote about Narnia way back in 1950 and it is the best known out of all of the 'Chronicles' books. I have to say that I didn't like this book as much as it's chronological predecessor 'The Magician's Nephew' but I'm happy I decided to read them chronologically because the events from TMN really set the stage for entering in the world of Narnia for TLTW&TW. Lewis' narrative style does take some getting used to, but if you are able to read them 'through the eyes of a child', it is a very entertaining, magical and unique read. To be honest, while reading this particular book, I realized that many of today's most popular children's fantasy fiction have clearly been influenced by Lewis' imaginings.

''For now that the first shock was over, the shorn face of Aslan looked to her braver, and more beautiful, and more patient than ever.''

The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe takes place many hundreds of years after the events of TMN (Lewis having in fact written TMN as one of his last Narnia book...many years after TLTW&TW). Narnia is under the reign of the evil White Witch, Jadis which we meet in TMN. The White Witch calls herself the Queen of Narnia and holds dominion over all Narnians. This time, our heros are the four Pevensie children who find themselves entering Narnia...and turning it upside down. There are a few things that are worth mentioning: 1.I was surprised at the power of the turkish delight the Witch gives Edmund. In the movie, they gloss over that part, but I feel it's important to know because only then does Edmund's future betrayal make more sense. 2. I enjoyed the shape-shifting aspect of the Witch (something else omitted from the films). It made her more scary in my eyes. 3. I really enjoyed Peter mentioning Edmund's bravery during the battle to Aslan. The way he went for her wand: brilliant!

''Whether it was more like playing with a thunderstorm or playing with a kitten Lucy could never make up her mind."

Overall, I enjoyed this book; albeit less than 'Magician's Nephew'. Rediscovering the changed Narnia through the eyes of the Pevensies was really unique and I enjoyed getting to know the four of them. The Narnians they encounter are enchanting and as always, Jadis is terrible in her fury and power. The story has a nice flow to it and the story is simple and easy to read. Having read up quite a bit on Narnia before jumping in the books, I was well prepared for the *thinly* veiled references to christianity, but I found that it didn't bother me. They are absolutely there, but like I mentioned: I'm attempting to read them as I would if I had read these books as a child; and they truly are magical if you can get passed the christian allegories.