Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 - Gene Luen Yang, Bryan Konietzko, Michael Dante DiMartino, Gurihiru I'm not a huge manga reader...but I do enjoy some from time to time, and I couldn't pass up a chance to learn more about the story of Aang and the gang. Avatar: The Last Airbender is such an amazing story, I've lost count of how many times me and the hubby have watched and re-watched the series. I only recently acquired the entire 'The Promise' series because I wanted to be able to read them all back to back for 2 reasons: 1-they are on the small side, so I knew I'd get through them quickly...& 2- I head they end in cliffhangers. Book 1 certainly did, so I'm glad I have the others handy :)

The Promise 1 starts off RIGHT where the ATLA series left off, literally. Even people who haven't watched the show in a while wouldn't be lost. I especially like that the creators continued the story right after the war ended. Most of my favorite series (books, movies or tv) tend to end right after an epic battle or war. I'm the type of reader who would also like the story to go on...even a little bit longer, so I can see for myself that the characters I've grown to love are really ok and going on with their lives. I've always been like that, so for me this continuation is exactly what I always crave. The best part about this continuation, is that it paints a realistic picture of how it would be to rebuild a world after such war & destruction (the events at the end of ATLA) while never feeling forced or lacking in authenticity to the original series.

There isn't TOO much in the way of plot advancement but you can definitely see the groundwork being laid for not only the crux of this little series (The Promise Trilogy) but there is also some pretty awesome foreshadowing of the storyline featured in The Legend of Korra! The characters are true to form but they've also been changed by everything they've been through, in many different ways and The Promise really is a nice balance of both. Their voices read the same way as if you were still watching the orginal series. They are even drawn the same, except for Zuko who's face seems more elongated here. I think that may be my only complaint because I liked the look of original Zuko best.

The Promise book 1 reads super quick but it's fun throughout. I was also instantly invested and brought back to a beloved world & awesome characters; I even cracked up a few times which is impressive for such a short book. All things considered, Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise Book 1 is recommended for any fans of the original series, both young & young at heart...like me.

For all my reviews, features, news & giveaways - visit my blog: Photobucket