Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 2

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 2 - Gene Luen Yang, Michael Dante DiMartino, Gurihiru, Bryan Konietzko The Promise - Part 2 was a very enjoyable, highly entertaining and surprisingly hilarious addition to The Promise Trilogy. Now that the introductions are out of the way, the writers really got into what made the television series so great! If often found that the middle book in a trilogy can lag a bit, while the author prepares for the big finale guaranteed in the third volume, but I'm happy to say it most definitely was not the case with The Promise. The story continued to progress steadily and naturally, going further into the groundwork laid by part 1, while building on what is sure to be a thrilling finale.

I felt we went even more in depth with a host of characters I've grown to love so much on the television series. From Aang & Katara to Toph, Sokka & Zuko; everyone showed some evolution and you can literally see them lining themselves up to the characters they will become in The Legend of Korra. The Aang and Katara bits were heartwarming & naive in a sweet and innocent way. Toph & Sokka, true to form were the root of all hilarity and comic relief. The Zuko bits...sigh, well they were intense, frustrating, compelling and sad all at the same time. I'm really amazed at how the true essence of the TV series translated so effortlessly onto the pages. It felt no different to me than watching the show!

The plot revisited past themes without ever feeling redundant or over done. I found this this book especially, was just really entertaining and funny! I may be on the giggly and silly side by nature, but often times what most people consider funny in books, TV or film just doesn't cut it for me. Both the Avatar: The Last Airbender Series & The Legend of Korra consistently crack me up though, so I was kinda gleeful to find myself giggling out loud throughout this read. I enjoyed this one even better than The Promise - Part 1. Overall, this was great fun - another exciting adventure with some of my most beloved characters of all time. Fair warning though : it ends in a super mega cliffhanger so be sure to have the final installment handy.

For all my reviews, features, news & giveaways - visit my blog: Photobucket