Dreamfever

Dreamfever  - Karen Marie Moning Rating Clarification: 4.5 stars

''I've come to hold the human spirit in the highest regard. Like the body, it struggles to repair itself. As cells fight off infection and conquer illness, the spirit, too, has remarkable resilience. It knows when it is harmed, and it knows when the harm is too much to bear. If it deems the injury too great, the spirit cocoons the wound, in the same fashion that a body forms a cyst around infection, until the time comes that it can deal with it. For some people, that time never comes. You see them in their faces...''

Holy Cliffhanger Ending Batman! If I didn't have the last fever book 'Shadowfever' right next to me at this moment, I'd be making a MAD dash to the bookstore BEFORE even writing this review! What an absolutely torturous ending o_O

Alright, mini-flip out under control. Dreamfever is awesome. By far my favorite of the series so far it is charged from beginning to end. It is intense, dark and sexy. I actually re-read part one of it and I fear it's seared in my memory...wait, is 'fear' the right word? haha Damn! This time around, things are beyond dark. We see the full effects of the walls coming down in Faefever...and we see the full effects of it's final scenes and it's impact on our hero Mac. It was emotional and rewarding. I absolutely love (!!) Mac's character evolution. I would have never thought it possible but she is a kick-ass protagonist who may not have it all figured out yet (god knows I haven't!) but she's fighting all the way. Black-Mac version 4.0, you rock!

The pace is quick in this one and the questions keep piling up, even while tons of questions got addressed. We even get some glimpses into actual answers too. I'm really intrigued by the new elements that popped up. The prophecy, the IFP (Interdimentional Fairy Potholes) and more importantly the information we got on Mac's past, and the insight into Barrons. The tone is getting steadily heavier as we approach the end of the series. Coupled with the ever evolving world KMM created; which was complex enough initially and has morphed into a something else entirely. Something darker and far more vast than it seemed to begin with. It definitely keeps you guessing anyways. I can't wait to see what's waiting for me in 'Shadowfever' but I'm dying to find out!

''When things seem the darkest, moments of beauty present themselves in the most unlikely places.''