Shadowfever

Shadowfever  - Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever is the fifth and final installment (for now) of the Fever series. And what an ending! This book is PACKED! I mean, it could almost be two or three books for all the information, plot, emotions and hair-pulling suspense jammed into this baby. I could not put it down, it was like a drug and I, Micheline am an addict. As much as I feel a sense of relief at finally having all most of the answers, I also don't want it to end...I want the story to go on. So I guess it's a good thing KMM will be writing more!

''One thing I've learned is that the harder your life gets, the gentler you have to be with yourself when you finally get some downtime, or you can't be strong when you need to be.''

Shadowfever is like an insane roller-coaster ride with insane fun-house mirrors and more twists and turns than I have ever been tortured with come across in any books I've ever read. The second you think you have even the slightest idea what's going on, KMM throws you through a loop and you're back to having no freaking clue what's going on. That's a big reason why I couldn't stop reading it, or thinking about it. I've always thought my inane curiosity was both a strength and a weakness depending on the situation. In the case of Shadowfever, it was my undoing. I still haven't completely wrapped my head around everything that transpired and I'm thinking I will re-read some parts today, and definitely without a doubt I will re-read the series in it's entirety in the near future.

''If you can't face the truth of your reality, you can't be a part of it, can't control it.'' -Jerricho Barrons

It's almost impossible to discuss Shadowfever without getting into spoilers; and I'd never want to ruin anything from this story, so I'll stick to discussing generalities. The series as a whole has some of the most elaborate and well thought-out world building I've ever encountered in any book I've ever read. That in itself is a really remarkable feat. It's completely original and incredibly well developed throughout. The worlds, the settings, the environments are rich and opulent. The Fae-lore is another completely unique and incredibly detailed aspect. These are no Tinkerbell fairies. They are lethal in both the light (Seelie) and dark (Unseelie) castes. They are power, sex and glamor; their version of illusion. The character development is another huge highlight. The main protagonist Mac really visibly evolves from book 1 to 5 and it's absolutely amazing to look back and realize how far she comes in this story. While she does return to her roots in Shadowfever (literally...but also figuratively in a sense) she's still a far cry from the girl she was in the beginning. She's tougher, wiser and way more badass.

As a final book, Shadowfever was an undeniably explosive installment. It was emotional, intense, sexy, infuriating at times and laugh-out-loud funny in others. I absolutely loved it. While the series as a whole didn't start off as explosively for me, it certainly kept improving steadily till the end. As I mentioned, I'm planning to re-read the series eventually, and I think knowing what I know now will make the first few books more enjoyable the second time around! 5-stars!

''I love books. They're in my blood.'' -Mac

"You can't look at someone with your eyes and take their measure. You have to look with the heart."