City of Glass

City of Glass - Cassandra Clare This was pretty cute and fun. I certainly wouldn't have minded it being in the book as it. It gets the point across the same way the actual scene did; Alec needs to realize that Jace is more his brother than a love interest. Point made!

Merged review:

This was definitely not as good as the final version that made it into the book. I wasn't a fan of Jace tricking Simon but the extra insight into Sebastian was nice.

Merged review:

Again, this one is just an alternate version of the ending of CoG. I didn't find this one was anything special, and I do like the ending that made it into the book much better.

Merged review:

The Manor House kissing scene is probably my second favorite Jace/Clary kiss and I gotta tell ya, reading it from Jace's POV only made it better. Yum.

Merged review:

This version certainly is much longer than what appears in the book; so it makes sense that they altered it. However, I thought it was quite interesting as well. Even if some of it is now not considered canon; it gave unique insight into Jocelyn's and Valentine's early relationship...and I do believe there was a part that alluded to some bit of information we had not yet been privy to...

Merged review:

This was quite satisfactory, like CC said perfect for anyone wanting needing a Jace/Clary fix. Tortured and steamy = a perfect mix in my books!

Merged review:

It was nice to be able to read the actual letter Jace wrote, even though he's in such a tumultuous and pained state of mind when he wrote it; the message of undying love is still there within everything else...it's very sweet. And majorly heartbreaking.

Rating Clarification - 3.5 stars

City of Glass is the third book in this series, and I had always thought this was a trilogy...at least originally. I definitely went into this series thinking of it as a trilogy only to realize there's another book out...and a 5th one to be released. I don't know whether to be excited or worried considering how this series had somewhat of a bumpy start for me. 'City of Glass' is the first of the series I can honestly say I enjoyed reading from beginning to end. While it did drag a bit at the start, it was nothing compared to both it's predecessors. And while I was still able to guess the outcome of most of the twists who didn't guess that Sebastian was in fact Clary's real brother a mile before the book actually got to the reveal?! I found myself invested in the characters a lot more with this third venture into the Shadowhunter world. There are absolutely still flaws in this installment; which are reflected in my rating, but all things considered this was an enjoyable read.

City of Glass takes us to THE City of Glass, the fabled Alicante in Idris. I have to admit this was a huge plus for me. The descriptions of the city held some mystic and helped give the story a more fantastical tone. Clary ventures to Alicante in a last desperate bid to save her mother's life; despite the fact that Jace doesn't want her there. Once in Alicante she meets a slew of new characters and is reunited with some old friends and acquaintances. Together they will discover a terrifying plot led by Valentine, one that they can only hope to overcome...if they can learn to all work together. While there were no HUGE surprises here, I was surprised and pleased to find plenty of (long overdue) character development within these pages. EVERY core character evolved in some way, which was one of the major drawbacks of the other previous books. Finally, this installment had something REAL, some real depth of emotion and HONESTY from the characters. Something REAL, something to grab onto and HOPE with these characters.

However, in usual Cassandra Clare fashion, her clues reveals tend to be obvious. She all but tells the reader a giant hint about a twist or character in her narrative, like the protagonist is drawing to the right conclusion but then they'll spend the rest of the book trying to figure out the twist that they should already know. In any event the reader knows it and it becomes frustrating when the characters don't clue in. Some of the new characters lacked in originality, and I could easily see that they were based on characters from another story...*ahem*. I also found myself frustrated on more than one occasion by the elitist nature of the older Shadowhunters. Especially considering what they had all already been through with Valentine years prior. There were quite a few spelling errors as well; not something I was looking to point out or anything, but 'suddenTly' instead of 'suddenly'? Come one!

All things considered, I was still pleasantly surprised by my interest in 'City of Glass'. Despite having guessed many of the twists beforehand, I still found myself wondering on the finer details of the plot, and what the outcome would be for Clary, Jace, Simon and the rest. I certainly hope this will hold out in 'City of Fallen Angels'. *crosses fingers*