The Last Olympian

The Last Olympian  - Rick Riordan The Last Olympian is a fitting and satisfying end to the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series. This books really hit the ground running. It starts out explosive and just keeps the pace climbing from then on. There is never a dull moment in this installment; the pace is lightning quick and there are plenty of tie-ins to the previous books so it really wraps things up nicely. On the other hand, it does offer an intriguing tie-in to the next series Heroes of Olympus as well.

The Last Olympian, surprisingly takes place almost a full year after the events of Battle of the Labyrinth . This is something that had never happened in the Percy Jackson series and I was pretty taken aback by the author's choice to do so. Initially it didn't worry me too much because I figured Rick Riordan would fill in the blanks via some kind of flashback or through Percy's own recollection. Oddly enough, Riordan chose the 'let's pretend no time has passed' approach and didn't discuss this at all. It almost felt to me like a flaw in the layout of the series at it's core but to be honest, I quickly forgot the whole thing. There is just so much going on here that it was impossible to dwell too much on any one thing. Excitement and danger just kept coming at you with no sign of letting up. So now Percy is VERY close to his 16th birthday, with the prophecy looming over his head and the Titans getting ready to launch their attack against Olympus...and the world.

This is a book that is almost impossible to put down. You can't very well put a book down in the middle of a battle! And in The Last Olympian, if there's not a battle going on, then there's one looming...or a sneak attack...or a prophetic dream about an impending battle. So yeah, there's a lot going on. I won't delve too deeply into the plot to keep my review from being too spoiler-y but I will say that plenty of twists caught me by surprise. Many resolutions didn't go as I'd been expecting, but generally speaking I came out satisfied with the overall story. I did find myself wanting more, with respects to what was going on outside of Percy's immediate actions. With so much going on, and the book already being quite a bit bigger than the previous four, I felt the descriptions on the state of the world surrounding Percy were lacking. That's where the real devastation was taking place, and it would have given a darker feel to the book to show a little more. Sure the tone was plenty dark, but I would have liked it to be darker still....well maybe not really darker since this is a book for a younger audiences, but I wanted more details on how complete chaos was reigning down on the entire world. It's like I kept forgetting about how the world was pretty much ending, and then Percy would point out something about how the war was raging Zeus and the other gods battling Typhon...Zeus' master bolt striking down buildings and his giant fist in the sky! and I wanted to feel the depths of the danger. But I digress, since like I said this is a series devoted to a much younger audience than me >.<

I would recommend this series for any loves of Mythology looking for a lighter and modernized twist on things, or fans of children's/YA fantasy quest stories. I look forward to how the story will evolve in the Heroes of Olympus as well. Though with only 3 books out, I may wait awhile to avoid the torture. 4-stars.