The Alloy of Law

The Alloy of Law - Brandon Sanderson The Alloy of Law is a continuation of the original Mistborn Trilogy - set three hundred years after the events that took place in the third book, The Hero of Ages. Needless to say, this means that our favorite characters from the original series are long gone. Which would explain why I waited MONTHS after finishing the original trilogy to jump into this one. Well that, and I needed time to heal from what went down at the end of The Hero of Ages *sniff*

Given the fact that The Alloy of Law is set hundreds of years after the events of the original trilogy, it naturally features a lot of new elements. New characters yes, but also a new setting, new threats, new enemies...even new rules within the existing magical system - which means new power combinations! Without going into details of the previous and current magical systems (Those who've read the series know what's up, and I don't want to spoil anything those who haven't ), I was fascinated by the fact that true Mistborns no longer seem to exist, and that now Mistings can also readily have Feruchemy at their disposal. This seems to have come about with the rise of Harmony as a way of maintaining balance but it soon becomes clear that some individuals can still become nearly immortal with certain specific Allomantic and Feruchemical combinations. This new approach to the given magical system was an innovative twist and definitely kept things interesting!

With the new characters, there is a lot to love. Waxillium or Wax is the main protagonist but there's also Wayne and eventually Marasi. I thoroughly enjoyed the lot of them, Wax with his enigmatic ways, mild paranoia, righteous motives and serious skills, Wayne with his disguises, wicked abilities and inherent humor, and finally Marasi with her charm, intellect and courage. All of them won me over in no time. It was completely engrossing to see how they all came together and interacted with one another, and of course, the best part was figuring out how their powers worked and complemented each other. The main threat that our heroes face was a mystery from the offset but as the villain started to reveal himself, I couldn't help but be amazed by what he could do. However, his motivations did feel a tad bit underwhelming, but I have a feeling that as the series progresses, the bigger picture will reveal itself in a more satisfying way.

As far as the setting goes, The Alloy of Law has a Western/Steampunk style to it that is wholly new to the Mistborn Series. I was a big fan of how this new setting complemented the magical system and the characters at play here. Gunslinging, renegade law enforcement with the new combinations of Allomancy+Feruchemy work surprisingly well together and I can honestly say that I'm very eager to see how this new world will evolve from this point forward. Given that this story is set in the same world and that the magical powers are still at their basis the same as they've always been, I did find myself missing the usual world-building and magic-building that Sanderson does so well. I know that we didn't actually need it, but I couldn't help but want it all the same. Both the world and the magic simply grew from what they started out as, but I guess I could have done with more backstory on how things evolved the way they did, to make the story as immersive as the previous trilogy.

With that being said, I still had a great time with The Alloy of Law. The new setting, fresh power combinations and engrossing characters were completely satisfying and worthy of the original trilogy. The ending pretty much left me begging for more so it won't be long until I sink my teeth into Shadows of Self!