Deity

Deity - Jennifer L. Armentrout Deity is the third book in the Covenant Series and this time around, things are getting serious. It's been awhile since I ventured back into the world of daimons and mythology imagined by Jennifer L. Armentrout, but it didn't take long for me to get back into the swing of things. JLA has a wonderful way of refreshing one's memory, without going into a whole repetitive recap - she just slides in reminders here and there, and since I have a pretty good memory, that was all I needed! The stakes are decidedly higher this time around, and our heroine Alex Andros seems up for the task - but even she couldn't be fully prepared for what's in store...

Deity picks up fresh off the heels of Pure without missing a beat. True to form, Alex had gotten into a heap of trouble at the end of book 2,but she managed to survive (barely), and now everyone is preparing as best they can for her upcoming 'Apollyon' awakening when she turns 18. Not to mention that she's dealing with the horrible aftermath of the events of the previous book. Alex has her hands full with this Apollyon thing as it is, but now she's also taking on tons of beings who want her dead before she awakens, including pures, daimons and gods. Yeah. And if all that wasn't enough, she's got not one, but two boys vying for her attention. And as much as she wishes they both had noble intentions, she begins to doubt one of them...and that's when things get...interesting.

Let's clear things up before we go any further. Yes, this series features a prominent love-triangle and yes I'm reading it all the same. As much as I have a hard time with love-triangles, I can stomach them sometimes, when there's a reason behind the situation. And in the Covenant Series, there is a reason why our MC Alex, has two boys trying to win her favor. That being said, since it's been so long since I read the second book, I found myself more easily frustrated at the beginning of Deity, with the situation at hand. I feel like my days of having the ability to be swept away by the idea of two boys fighting over a girl have long passed. I also found myself annoyed with Alex for being so blind to one of her boy's true intentions. I mean, it feels like it's been obvious from the word go, but girl sure takes her sweet time clueing in! Luckily though, as the plot thickened and the action moved forward, I found myself swept away with Alex and her situation, wanting to know more.

Deity is at that middle point in the series, where it's almost impossible to discuss plot developments and character arcs without getting into spoilers. Suffice it to say that there are surprises a plenty to be found here. It's clear that Ms Armentrout is setting up the board for her grand finale, moving all the pieces into place. The endgame certainly isn't crystal clear, given that there are still 2 books to the series (plus a novella) BUT, the reader gets a clear sense of mounting stakes. There's more danger, and you're never quite sure who you can trust. And when the dust finally settles...err, who am I kidding? The dust never fully settles in this one. THAT ending might very well kill fans of the series. If not, it will certainly have them running to the bookstore to pick up book 4 Apollyon, and the novella Elixir (which would be book 3.5) in a mad rush.

Luckily for me, I have the entire series at the ready. I doubt very much I'll be able to hold off jumping into Elixir AND Apollyon - seriously guys, THAT ENDING!!! Gah! So despite a few frustrations in the romance department, I definitely enjoyed Deity for the most part.

This review was previously featured on my blog: Photobucket