The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black **An ARC was provided by Little Brown in exchange for an honest review.**

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was my very first Holly Black read and my first vampire book in quite a long time. I 'd been looking forward to getting into this one for months because it sounded like a fresh take on vampires while avoiding the fluffy, clich├ęd take on your typical YA paranormal book. While I do credit Holly Black on her no-holds-barred approach to vampirism -especially one that takes place in a dystopian setting, I simply failed to connect with the characters or their journey. The plot seemed like one giant detour into it's inevitable outcome and I found myself wondering why it took us so long to get where we were going.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown starts off with an intensity that's hard to beat! We're thrown right into a gory and frightening world and for the first few chapters, I figured I was in for one hell of a ride. Holly Black is definitely skilled at setting up a macabre tone and maintaining it, even with the most simple details. You never forget the horrible world that surrounds the characters and the imminent threat of danger is palpable throughout. This is not your typical fluffy, vampire read. There are true horrors to uncover and the blood, violence and death within these pages in on full display. I was excited by this fearless story-telling and eagerly read on.

My issues with this book began when we begin to get a deeper look at the characters involved in this story. Unfortunately I didn't find many of them to be particularly likeable or relatable. Tana, the main-character was probably the one I had the most trouble with. Don't get me wrong, she starts out likable enough; I appreciated her bravery and her kindness throughout the book as well. My issue was with her motivations - mainly, the fact that she seemed to blindly decide a plan early on, without really having enough to follow through with it. She decides to voluntarily journey into the worst vampire settlement in the world - which is quarantined by the way, with her ex-boyfriend who is infected and a strange and kind of crazy vampire she just met. All because she has a tiny scratch on her leg, which means there's a minor chance she could be infected. All the while, she flip-flops between her secret desire to want to be a vampire, and her unflinching hatred of all vampires. It's hard to get behind and MC when her motivations, feelings and thought process seemed so continually jumbled.

The other characters in The Coldest Girl in Coldtown didn't fare much better for me I'm afraid. Tana's ex-boyfriend Aiden was supposed to be charming and sweet but most of the time I just found him selfish and manipulative. Winter & Midnight, two siblings we meet a little further in are no better. In fact, they were decidedly worse, each one having next to no redeeming qualities. Similarly, other characters were introduced throughout the story but very few of them seemed likeable in any way. When you're a huge character reader like I am, no caring for most of the character's well-being in a book is never a good sign.

There were a few exceptions of course. Gavriel was easily the most compelling and intriguing character of the bunch. Poetic tortured souls have always been a weakness of mine so it wasn't hard for him to get my attention. Whenever the story turned to his perspective, or when there were flashbacks about his past, I wanted to know more. Valentina and Jameson we also likeable enough, but neither got enough face-time to win me over completely.

I think one of my least favorite aspects of The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was how everyone felt the need to film everything. I get how reality television is in right now, but having never really gotten into the trend, I was endlessly annoyed by people facing death and danger and wanting to stop to make a vlog about it. I don't know about you guys, but if the world is facing a vampire invasion, I'm not stopping to film the damn thing. This is a personal gripe I know, but I needed to vent about it. It probably won't bother every reader, but I think the story would have been better without that added element. It does play in to the plot eventually (somewhat) but I don't think it was a necessary addition.

To sum it up, fans of Holly Black's ambient writing-style and/or fans of vampire books will probably want to check out The Coldest Girl in Coldtown for themselves. Personally, while I do still want to check out Black's other books, this one just didn't do it for me. There were some good things about the story as a whole and it certainly gets points for originality and world-building but in the end, my indifference towards the characters and their journey really affected my overall reading experience.

Actual rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

For this and other reviews like it- visit my blog: Photobucket