The Dream Thieves

The Dream Thieves - Maggie Stiefvater *An ARC was provided by Scholastic Press in exchange for an honest review.*

The Dream Thieves is the follow up to The Raven Boys, (which I adored) and believe me when I tell you that The Dream Thieves is a worthy sequel in every. single. way. I thought I already loved Blue and the boys as much as was humanly possible, but nope - there is a whole other level to these feels; and they were all brought to the surface while the reading of this book. This is a story that stays with you long after you've read the last pages and I know that once the details start to get vague, I will promptly return and experience the whole thing all over again! (and again and again.)

The story seems to be getting darker with The Dream Thieves and I found that the scope of the plot has also broadened considerably. Our Raven Boys aren't the only ones noticing the weird energy lines all over Henrietta; nor are they the only ones keen on finding the elusive Glendower. I can foresee things getting quite intense in the next installments in any event. As it stands, the way everything hit the fan at the end of book one with Adam's sacrifice and Ronan's big surprise reveal, well, things were bound to get interesting. And they did! Hell, they were more than interesting. Try addictive, all-consuming and oh-so wonderful! I happened to read this during an especially busy time in my life and it was sheer torture to have to put it down and walk away from the story - I kept wishing I could just forget the world and read the entire thing straight through. Every single chapter promised more than the last and damned if it didn't deliver right till the very end! Just when you thought Cabeswater couldn't get more enigmatic, you're floored with a big twist. Just when Ronan seemed as mysterious and magnetic as humanly possible, NOPE. He goes and reveals his dream powers and then we get to explore all of that with him. Hello jackpot!

The Dream Thieves focuses most of it's attention on the boys this time around. We are treated to some bits from Blue's perspective, but mostly the focus lays on Gansey, Adam, and especially Ronan's perspective. After Ronan's big dream reveal at the end of Raven Boys, it made sense for him to get more attention this time around. Not to mention that I already had all kinds of love for his character and was desperate for more! I have to say that Ronan's part of the story did not disappoint in the least. I was swept away by his tale, his thoughts and the mischief he got up to ;-D As for Gansey, I found myself falling even more hopelessly in love with him than I was at the end of The Raven Boys. The more you learn about the guy, the more there is to love I guess! And then there's Adam, who underwent a huge change right at the end of book 1, so The Dream Thieves was all about how he's changing and why. I probably don't even have to tell you that I was riveted by all of it. Adam continues to be something of a wild-card but he's a riddle wrapped in an enigma and I love all of it! Even Noah managed to surprise me yet again - and I thought nothing could top his big reveal the last time around. O.O Honestly, all of these boys own their own special piece of my heart! (PS- that ending tease has me shipping a ship that might never sail, but I'll be damned if I won't go down with THAT ship until the very end!! Sooo many feeeeels ♥♥♥)

The characters and their development is just as layered and rich here as it was in the first book. We learn just as much new information about the boys and Blue as we did the first time around, which kind of blows my mind. The entire story line for The Dream Thieves was incredibly well-plotted and flowed like only Maggie Stiefvater can seem to manage. I don't know how she does it, but with minimal drama she manages to make even the simplest of details utterly fascinating. New characters and new monsters are introduced and they all seem like such a natural progression to the story that while they are surprising, at the same time you just know it could never have gone down any other way. The whole thing was perfection to me, I just can not get over it.

The Dream Thieves is a story that grabs you right from the start and never lets go, not for a second. It will invade your thoughts and, most likely, your dreams until you are consumed with longing for the next installment in an already stellar series. I.NEED. Blue Lily, Lily Blue. In my life. And quickly! I simply don't think I can survive much longer without it.

This review was previously featured on my blog: Photobucket