Nomad

Nomad - J.L. Bryan **An ARC was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**

~Actual rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars~

Before I even start my review, I just wanted to put this out there: I love time-travel. There just no way around it, the concept is so freaking fascinating to me and I can't get enough of it. That being said, I was instantly attracted to Nomad because it not only dealt with time-travel, but the idea of traveling back in time in an effort to save humanity from a darker, dystopian future. How awesome is that idea?! Add a kick-butt female assassin as your main character, and you couldn't have kept me away from this book if you tried!

Nomad hooked me right from that intense opening sequence and after that, I was hooked. It reminded me of something like The Bourne Identity, but with a futuristic female in the lead role. The protagonist, Raven was seriously epic and fierce, I found myself liking her instantly. She arrives in our time with chunks of her memory missing and I really liked being along for the ride as she pieced everything together. It was easy to feel for her and her situation too as she struggled to adjust to the year 2013 and how vastly different the world is compared to the future horrors she knows will come to pass. Raven knows how to think on her feet, while keeping a level head but I also appreciated that she wasn't terribly impulsive or rash. She was willing to adapt and change her plans as needed and to me that made her braver and all the more noble.

As far as supporting characters, the cast featured in Nomad as kept relatively small, which I like. It's easier to remember character details that way and the focus stays on the plot and MC. I found all of the characters to be fully developed and very real. I won't say anymore about them because - spoilers - but it's clear that the main focus of the book is on Raven and her mission...with a few exceptions.

Time travel is a tricky concept to deal with - it can easily become disastrous but author JL Bryan managed to make things very realistic. He kept the technical time-travel bits simple, but as a reader, you could tell that there was a lot of thought and planning that went into the explanations and details that were readily offered. Still, I wouldn't have minded it if it had been a bit more complicated and technical, but then again I'm weird like that and I like to groove in all the technicalities and details of sci-fi fun like this!

There is a sort of romantic element that develops in Nomad which was a bit surprising for me, simply because I wasn't expecting the story to evolve in that way at all. It wasn't a bad thing though and it still kept me turning the pages, dying to know how everything was going to go down. Again I don't want to hint at anything spoiler-y so I'll leave it at that.

To sum it up, Nomad was an exciting and addictive read. The future that Raven comes from is chilling and horrific and the details we get about it set the tone nicely all throughout the book. The middle parts did slow down a bit, as the MC becomes comfortable in our present day but I found that it didn't bother me much since at this point I was really invested in the story and in Raven's mission. Nomad also seems like a stand-alone book so far, which is exciting since there seem to be so few stand alone books nowadays. To be fair though, if a second book should be in the works I'd be all over that . Adult fans of sci-fi, dystopians and time-travel should definitely check this one out!

For this and other reviews like it- visit my blog: Photobucket