The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.4)

The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.4) - Sarah J. Maas The Assassin and the Empire is the fourth Throne of Glass Novella and although it's bittersweet from the first page on, it was just as addictive and well-written as the entire Throne of Glass series. It brought some serious feels to the table this time around and even though I more or less knew what was going to happen, I was surprised by the intensity of emotions that Sarah J. Maas was able to evoke here. Novellas normally aren't long enough to deliver both a solid, satisfying plot and a emotional punch but The Assassin and the Empire did just that - so much so that I was left craving picking up Throne of Glassfor a re-read!

Since I've already read Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight, I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into with The Assassin and the Empire - in fact from the first pages, I knew I was in for one hell of a ride. Sure enough soon I was on the edge of my seat, biting my nails...which was followed closely by dread as I approached the terrible events that were about to unfold. Finally, I dissolved into a puddle of feels and tears at the end; craving a re-read and wishing I'd read these in chronological order so that I'd have ToG & CoM to dive into!

Experiencing what Celaena went through first hand like this definitely shed some light on her behavior and actions in the series proper. As gut-wrenching as it was, I feel like it a necessary part of the story for Maas to tell - and she did so brilliantly. It was gorgeously sad in a way that shatters your heart in all the right places. I don't think it would have been possible for me to feel more of anything for Celaena really. And now more than ever, I feel like there are so many more twists and surprises to be delivered in the series. So much is still left open and unresolved that I feel like I won't be able to handle the wait for all the books to be out - let alone the wait till Heir of Fire comes out in September!

I'm going to leave it here, because anything else I'd want to discuss would include spoilers but suffice it to say that The Assassin and the Empire was an absolutely stellar conclusion to this set of four novellas! I'll definitely be re-reading them in March when The Assassin's Blade releases - followed closely by a full series re-read I'm sure ;-)

This review was first published on my blog: Photobucket