Born of Corruption

Born of Corruption - Teri Brown This is a mini-review (of sorts) since Born of Corruption clocks in at around 60 pages but I still wanted to share my thoughts on it. I'd really enjoyed the first book, Born of Illusion so I was looking forward to returning to Anna and her New-York flapper lifestyle. Born of Corruption is meant to bridge the gap between book 1 and it's sequel Born of Deception that just came out so i figured now was the perfect time to dig in.

Born of Corruption mixes things up a bit - it's not told from our usual MC Anna's perspective but instead is told from Cynthia's. Fans of Born of Illusion will remember Cynthia as one of Anna's friends, who incidentally has family ties to the Mob. With Anna heading out to London soon, Cynthia decides to throw her a posh going-away party, in the form of a scavenger hunt around NYC. The party gets cut short though when guests start dropping dead like flies. Now Cynthia, Anna and the remaining, living, guests have to figure out who's responsible - the Mob, The Society for Psychical Research...or could it be someone else entirely?

On the plus side, it was fun to return to New York in the roaring 20's, even for a short while and it was an added bonus to get to see Anna from another character's perspective. I always find that seeing the MC through someone else's eyes adds insight and depth to an already well-fleshed out character. I found myself liking Anna even more than I already had. I also enjoyed getting Cynthia's thoughts and perspective on things. She's very different from Anna but I can see why the two of them became fast friends; they complement each other's personalities nicely.

The downside of some novellas though is that, after reading absolutely fantastic ones like The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas and Night of Cake & Puppets by Laini Taylor, you get used to novellas doing more than they used to, adding layers to the plot and scope to the world at hand. Sadly, Born of Corruption reads like the novellas we were used to, before Maas and Taylor changed the game forever. What I mean to say is that, while entertaining enough, Born of Corruption isn't necessary reading material. It's a enjoyable and quick read, but not much beyond that.

I think that Born of Corruption is a entertaining way to get back in the swing of things and get ready for Born of Deception. My only other complaint is that when the villain is finally uncovered, he does the usual ''bad guy speech where he reveals all his plans to the MC because he thinks he's home free'' -thing. I mean I get that it's a way for the reader to connect the dots, but I wish sometimes the heroes would just find proof to what the bad guy was up to in another way, and save us from this all-too familiar plot device. Nitpicking aside, I had fun with this one and it definitely got me in the mood for book two! Fans of Born of Illusion will no doubt enjoy this quick romp with the flappers in New York before heading out to London ;)

This review was previously featured on my blog: Photobucket