Crown Of Ice

Crown Of Ice - Vicki L. Weavil *An ARC was provided by Month9Books in exchange for an honest review*

Crown of Ice is a book that I simply had to read, despite not being familiar with it's source of inspiration: The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson. And here's why: the synopsis described the main character, Thyra Winter as 'scheming' and 'unencumbered by kindness'. Those are definitely not the usual adjectives used to describe female protagonists - especially in YA. The blurb goes on to say that Thyra is logical and a gifted mathematician. Again, this just sounded so fresh and different from the usual teenage heroines in YA that I was instantly hooked. I needed to get to know Miss Thyra Winter. She just sounds so different. Well, that and the fact that she's the Snow Queen! Because really, how freaking cool is that?

So. Our Snow Queen is the eternal queen of winter. She's cold, calculating and powerful. BUT, unless she reassembles a shattered mirror before her 18th birthday, she's doomed to become a wraith. I mean sure, she has magical Snow Queen powers, given to her by a cruel wizard, but at 17...her time is running out all the same as if she was a regular human. Bummer. Crown of Ice introduces us to Thyra Winter this way and author Vicki L. Weavil doesn't hold back in showing the reader that this MC will not be the usual YA-heroine. Early on we are shown just how cruel and uncaring this Snow Queen can be. Clearly, a less-than-admirable protagonist was one of my favorite aspects of this book. It was just so refreshing to read about someone who is completely apart from the cookie-cutter females in young-adult books that have become the norm.

As the synopsis explains, Thyra quickly sets her plan in motion to lure a young boy from the village, Kai Thorsen into helping her. She knows that his skills in math rival her own and with time running out to reassemble this mirror, she needs all the help she can get if she wants to survive. And she wants to survive more than anything - believe me: Thyra Winter wants to gain eternal life. At.all.costs. There's a terrible bit early on with a mother wolf and her cubs that nearly shattered my heart but because of it, Thyra gains another accomplice in the surviving young wolf cub. The wolf, Luki was another of my absolute favorite aspects of this book. I simply adore animal companions in my fantasy books and Luki was incredibly well fleshed-out and completely endearing! Kai was likeable enough as a secondary character but I feel like his character could have done with a bit more background. I didn't find myself caring for him as an innocent trapped in all this nearly as much as I felt I should have. That being said, his story was an engaging one in it's own right and I respected that he and Thyra were intellectual equals. It balanced things out nicely, you know, considering that he is a human and Thyra was the magical Snow Queen.

There is a romantic aspect to Crown of Ice but it develops veeeery slowly and in a completely believable and logical fashion. Obviously, this was another huge plus - we all know how hard insta-love sucks, right? I am happy to say that the romantic bits here were slow coming and even then, things didn't fall into place all at once. I am even more happy to say that when the story wraps-up, the romance bits don't end in the typical way either. The feminist inside of me was incredibly pleased by that :D And it wasn't just the romance that was nicely-paced; the entire plotline of the book was nicely developed, and as an MC, Thyra had a very nice character-arc, from who she was when the story began to who she becomes when the story ends. I just wish that the villain, and the few other secondary characters (like Kai) could have gotten a bit more attention, not just in terms of 'page-time' but where their past and motivations were concerned.

Crown of Ice was definitely a book that was worth the read for me. I was over the moon about getting to know a protagonist who was so unique and compelling. Thyra Winter is a character I won't soon forget! I thought the idea of a Snow Queen was fascinating, her powers were cool (no pun intended!) and her wolf-sidekick was adorable ♥ As far as I know, this book is a standalone - another rarity, so I would definitely recommend this one to fairytale-retelling fans and readers who like a very different kind of heroine, one who's both twisted and compelling. Needless to say, I've since added The Snow Queen to my tbr shelf :)

This review was previously featured on my blog: Photobucket